For the past couple of years I have been hosting with Hostgator. I was a happy customer until the acquisition by EIG. In the past 2 months my blog was down for almost two days. I really wanted another cheap and best solution for hosting my website. Another thing is the response time has gone so bad over the months. When you goto their website for support you have to wait for 30 to 45 minutes for the technical guy to come up say something. So I decided to part away from hostgator for bad service and being very expensive.
Last week my friend Ambarish recommended a new cloud based hosting service from DigitalOcean. First I was very sceptical about this cloud as I tried hosting my site with same configuration on Amazon Cloud and did not get good result. But I though let me give a try. So I migrated my blog and did a test run for couple of days and I am pretty happy with it.
Some of the best features I like about DigitalOcean
- Very easy to create an instance. (Droplets)
- You have very good list of configuration to choose for the instance
- The instance can be loaded at 6 different location. I choose Amsterdam as I wanted my instance to be high all the time
- You can boot the instance from variety of images
- Fresh Linux Distributions
- Pre build Linux Distributions with custom application like WordPress, LAMP, Ruby, GitLab etc
- Your own custom images
- Your existing backup images
- Even from recently destroyed images
- Automated Snapshot backup etc.
The journey with DigitalOcean has been really good. Will be updating more on how to related to DigitalOcean and some stats in a months time. They are giving away 10$ credit for every referral I make. Please click on the banners in this blog post if you wish to get a new account. You will be supporting me on my hosting cost for this blog